Algebraic geometry seems to have acquired the reputation of being esoteric, exclusive, and very abstract, with adherents who are secretly plotting to take over all the rest of mathematics. In one respect this last point is accurate.
– David Mumford (b. 1937)
The IMA Thematic Year on Applications of Algebraic Geometry was a series of events that took place at the University of Minnesota’s Institute for Mathematics and its Applications (IMA) from September 2006 to June 2007.
- Algebraic Geometric Methods in Engineering (Sept. 15-16, 2006)
- Algebraic Algorithms in Optimization (Jan. 12-13, 2007)
- What is Algebraic Geometry? (April 13-14, 2007)
- Algorithms in Algebraic Geometry (Sept. 18-22, 2006)
- Software for Algebraic Geometry (Oct. 23-27, 2006)
- Optimization and Control (Jan. 16-20, 2007)